Salary: £25,759 per annum
Contract: Permanent (Full time)
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Finance Department in a world renowned setting and the most popular tourist attraction in the UK. As the Finance Officer: Data Analysis you would be responsible for ensuring financial data from third parties and other business systems is accurately loaded into the financial systems on a timely basis, including ecommerce and banking data. You would ensure the service provided to Museum departments is of a high standard.
Key areas of responsibility:
• Maintain a good understanding of financial systems and of the internal and external data flows and transactions that affect all the Museum’s financial systems
• Maintain an understanding of other business systems that interact with the Museum’s financial systems
• Review interface results, identify and correct errors and inconsistencies and ensure all intercompany transactions are made on a timely basis
• Problem solve by defining issues in collaboration with stakeholders; preparing and evaluating alternative solutions; and recommending efficient and effective courses of action
• Maintain and update detailed system process notes
• Develop project plans and successfully deliver improvement projects to agreed timetable
• Review and authorise journals, reconciliations and other analysis prepared by team members
• Perform the month end close function, including reconciliations of sub ledgers
• Performing reconciliations as directed
• Liaising with management accounts team to ensure financial data is timely and accurate and issues are identified, followed up and resolved
• Working across the finance team to provide best practice accounting, processing and reporting services to all Museum staff
To undertake this role you will need to be degree educated (or equivalent) and have relevant experience working in a Finance department. This should include a basic knowledge of accounting principles and procedures as well as a comprehensive understanding of e-commerce and systems controls. You should have proven experience of understanding system interfaces and have experience of new system implementation.
You will have experience of maintaining consistency and accuracy in processing a high volume of transactions and the ability to identify, investigate and resolve discrepancies.
Experience of managing and/ or training a member of staff would be desirable.
We are looking for candidates progressing towards, or have obtained, an accounting qualification (e.g. ACCA/ACA/CIMA or equivalent) with a high level of PC literacy including excellent data input and spreadsheet skills.
You should have experience of operating at least one accounting package.
About the British Museum:
Founded in 1753, the British Museum’s remarkable collection spans over two million years of human history and culture. With over 6.4 million visitors in 2016, the Museum is the top visitor attraction in the UK, and its world-famous collection includes the Rosetta Stone, the Parthenon sculptures, Egyptian mummies, the Admonitions Scroll, and the Amaravati sculptures.
The Museum adheres to the HMG Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) requirements for all staff at the British Museum.
The Museum is an equal opportunity employer, supports a diverse workplace and offers a competitive benefits package including:
• Membership of the civil service pension scheme
• Free entry to a wide range of museums and exhibitions
• Participation in private and public Museum activities, including talks by leading curators from around the world and behind-the-scenes opportunities to learn how museums care for and manage their extraordinary collections
• Generous annual leave allowance
• Interest-free season ticket loan
• Child care voucher scheme
• Professional & personal development opportunities
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Discounts on food and gift shop purchases
If you are a positive individual, passionate about the Museum and would like to know more about this exciting opportunity, please follow the “Apply now” link below where you will be directed to complete your application.
Closing date: 25th March 2018, 23:59