Job description & requirements
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today, Cloudflare runs one of the world’s largest distributed networks that powers more than 1.5 trillion pageviews each month across 5 million Internet properties. More than 10 percent of all global Internet requests flow through Cloudflare’s network. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code.
Our customers range from Fortune 500 companies and nonprofits to small businesses and budding entrepreneurs. Every day, about 12,000 new customers sign up. We’re working to create a faster, more secure, and more reliable experience for anyone online and given the scale at which we operate, our mission is big. Our team is hard at work shaping the future of the Internet by solving some of its toughest challenges. Come join us.
About the Department
The Cloudflare Customer Support Team solves complicated problems and answers technical questions via phone, email, chat and social media. Whether it is a Wordpress blogger using our services for free or a global Enterprise business with petabytes of web traffic, we are always eager to assist. We are the eyes and ears of Cloudflare, acting as the real-time voice of the customer to help communicate their needs and real-world use cases back to the rest of the company - for better service and future product development.
Do you like solving complex problems? Are you an analytical thinker with a knack for non-linear logic? Do you enjoy interacting with people?
We are seeking a Technical Customer Support Engineer to join our team. You will work with our users on complicated technical support issues as well as the Technical Operations team that is responsible for running our global, distributed network. You will also build system security tools including writing web security firewall rules and build big data analytics tools. This is a position where you will learn the inner workings of Cloudflare's technology, while also getting to work directly with our customers.
- Must have Japanese verbal & written communication skills
- 2+ years of customer-facing technical support experience
- Extensive experience troubleshooting DNS and networking-related issues
- Familiarity with Linux and web programming
- You understand DNS and how the Internet works
- Experience with Apache, Nginx, IIS, and other web servers
- You live at the command line, and only use a GUI when you have no other choice
- You know that a curl isn't necessarily related to weightlifting or an Olympic sport
- Experience working in a support role where you thrived every time you resolved a ticket
- Strong communication skills that allow you to be a bridge between customers and the engineering team
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience with PostgreSQL, MySQL, MS SQL, and other database servers
- Experience with popular blogging platforms, forum software, and/or CRM software
- Interest in web security
- You have worked at a hosting company or a web development company
What Makes Us Special
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
In 2014, we launched Project Galileo, an initiative through which we partner with global NGOs to identify websites at risk of attack and provide the same state-of-the-art mitigation technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost. Project Galileo equips politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work.
Cloudflare hires the best people based on an evaluation of their abilities and effectiveness. We don't discriminate against employees on the basis of any other personal characteristic or any classification protected by federal, state or local law.