August Robotics might be able to provide a visa.
As a Mechanical and Design Engineer, you will take a lead role within August Robotics’ technical team in Shenzhen and be responsible for the product design and detailed mechanical modelling of the company’s robotic products.
You will conceptualize, define and design the internal and external architectural layout of the robotic prototypes:
- You will be responsible for ensuring that the external appearance of the robots is sleek, modern and professional, leaving clients with a positive impression
- You will work with your team to create a detailed internal model of each robot in SolidWorks / SolidEdge, modelling each and every component as well as the interactions between the components
You will search out the optimal materials, components and systems for each robotic prototype and develop robot prototypes by fabricating design iterations and integrating off-the-shelf components and technologies.
You will adopt an agile approach to hardware development, relentlessly testing, iterating and re-testing your designsenabling extremely rapid prototyping and development of your designs. You will always be on the look-out for new tools and techniques (eg. 3D printing) to speed up the prototyping and design process. You will take ownership of sprints, manage deadlines and deliverables, and come up with creative design solutions to problems that arise.
You will be employed by the Hong Kong office of August Robotics, but the role will include frequent travel to August Robotics’ office in Shenzhen, China.
You must show:
- Degree from a top-tier University in China (must be a 985 university, ideally a C9 university) or from an overseas university in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Industrial Design or a related discipline
- Strong proficiency in Solidworks / SolidEdge or an equivalent design tool
- Strong product design capabilities, and demonstrated track record of designing technical products that look sleek and modern and are easy for customers to use
- An ability to foresee potential issues and to creatively problem solve to resolve issues in your designs
- An ability to work with machine tools, 3D printers, laser cutters and other tools to assist in the rapid prototyping of components and design concepts
- Actual, practical experience designing and implementing one or more consumer products that were successfully manufactured and released
- Native level fluency in Mandarin Chinese and mastery of simplified Chinese characters
In addition to the above requirements, which you must demonstrate, the following skills are helpful but not required:
- Familiarity with the general functionality and constraints of the various types of sensors typically used in developing consumer electronics and/or robots
- Proficiency in Keyshot, Photoshop or other similar rendering tools
It is essential that you have at least 2 years of work experience as a mechanical engineer or product designer. You should be comfortable with ambiguity and excited by the idea of working in an entrepreneurial culture. You should be open to learning new things, and willing to jump in and lend a hand on a range of different issues when the need arises.