Job description & requirements
About Ninja Van
Ninja Van is on a mission to dominate e-commerce logistics in Southeast Asia. We are one of the fastest growing startups in the region - founded in mid-2014, we have already won over 6,000 merchants and deliver more than 2 million parcels a month across six countries. In Jan 2018, we raised one of the largest Series C rounds ever in Southeast Asia and are well-positioned for our next phase of rapid growth.
At our core we are a technology company that is disrupting a massive industry with cutting edge software and operational concepts. Powered by algorithm-based optimization, dynamic routing, end-to-end tracking and a data-driven approach, we provide best-of-class delivery services that delight both the shippers and end customers. But we are just getting started! We have much room for improvement and many ideas that will further shape the industry.
We are on the lookout for world-class talent to fill our world-class engineering team. We want people who are passionate about creating software that makes a difference to the world. We like people who are brimming with ideas and who take initiative rather than wait to be told what to do. We prize team-first mentality, personal responsibility and tenacity to solve hard problems and meet deadlines. As part of a small team, you will have a very direct impact on the success of the company.
Roles & Responsibilities
You will lead and manage a team of 5-10 software engineers to design, develop, test and ship software that propels the business forward. You have the engineering chops to architect, approve design, review code and even roll up your sleeve and write code in a pinch.
- Manage and develop a team of world-class engineers to keep them motivated, grow their technical expertise and meet their career aspirations.
- Manage projects end to end in a fast-paced Agile environment to deliver quality software on time, and follow through post release to ensure effective usage.
- Partner with business owners and product managers to help shape product strategy, sharpen product specs and come up with innovative solutions.
- Drive continual process improvements in areas like unit test, code review, static analysis, CI, CD.
- Always be looking for ways to level up the team and the people around you.
- At least 5 years of software development experience preferably in horizontally scalable services in a cloud environment.
- At least 2 years of managing an elite engineering team with multiple release cycles under your belt. Proven ability to recruit, develop and retain talent.
- Steeped in Agile ways. Deep knowledge of software engineering best practices and processes. Burning desire to drive the team to adopt them asap.
- Highly adept at project management in a demanding fast-changing environment with tight deadlines and scarce resources. Ability to multi-task is key.
- Highly intelligent, can quickly grasp complex concepts and delights in solving hard problems.
- Driven. Passionate about the company's vision.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field from a top university.
- Data storage: Percona XtraDB Cluster, Elasticsearch, Apache Cassandra
- In-Memory data grid: Hazelcast
- Real-time data pipeline: Apache Kafka
- Backend webservice stack: Play (Java 8), GoLang, Node.js
- Web frontend: AngularJS, React
- Mobile: Android SDK, React Native
- Containerization: Kubernetes (Docker)