Job description & requirements
We're looking for an engineering manager that can help us to build products that help small businesses to grow and succeed.
Here's more about the team you'll be managing:
* There are 7 engineers (a mix of junior to senior engineers from a variety of backgrounds) in the team.
* Our engineers are smart, competent and don't put up with bullshit. They are also positive, love to learn and can communicate well. They care about the product and user experience.
* Scrum is a process we use because it suits our needs. We don't do things for the sake of doing it. Estimates are something we try to spend as little time on as possible and we try to solve issues with people instead of processes.
* Engineers work very closely with UX designers to deliver features or improvements. We believe close collaboration with designers is essential to build the right product at the right pace, even if it comes with some communication overheads.
The Ideal candidate for this position:
* You have experience managing a team of engineers (8 or more) who are working on a product that is used by many people.
* You know how to find and convince great engineers to join a team and how to make them stay with the team.
* You have great technical skills and would be a great architect, but realise that you prefer the management career path.
* You enjoy mentoring and managing engineers and make an effort to level up by reading books, talking to people and deliberately practising what you learned at your job.
* You are ambitious and want to learn as fast as possible. You'll push the team to do so as well. You work hard to achieve that.
* You realise that processes are tools to help the team achieve it's goals and are not tied to any particular process. Regardless of what process is used, you get things shipped and improved.
* You have excellent communication and people skills, and enjoy working with both technical and non-technical people. You also value transparency and don't shy away from hard conversations if they are needed.
* You are an excellent administrator and make it easy for people to work around you.
* You recognize that technical debt is sometimes necessary to take on or to let build up, but are able to advocate for clearing it up in a manner that allows proper prioritization of the technical debt versus other priorities.
What you can expect:
You'll report directly to the founders of the company. We (the founders) are technical in background.
You'll be working with world class engineers who are great at what they do. Our engineers will push you to constantly improve as they will hold you accountable for decisions.
* We work fast, sometimes break things, and expect everyone to take ownership of their roles. We focus on results so there is some flexibility around time and location of work, but that comes with a higher standard of communication and impact.
* We are a product focused company and the product team is key to our growth. Our products are used by thousands of clients and millions of consumers. You'll play a pivotal role in this.
* There will be plenty of technical challenges as you'll have to work with a product that has some legacy issues, scale and a global customer base.
* We plan to expand. You'll get a chance to grow the team.
* We're based in Blk71, which is Singapore's pretty awesome startup hub. You'll be right in the heart of the startup community here.
Here's more about how we think about management: http://anafore.press/management
What’s it like working at ReferralCandy?
- We are an engineering-focused company (founded by engineers!)
- We're a tight knit and flat team that works with agile/scrum (customized to suit our needs).
- Engineers in our team are heavily involved in shaping the product together with our UX/design team.
- We focus on a results only work environment (flexible time / location) which sets a high standard for work done but allows us to cater to each of our lifestyles.
- More about what we believe here - http://anafore.press/beliefs .