Job description & requirements
Engineering manager, Infrastructure
Xendit provides payments infrastructure across Indonesia. Xendit processes payments, runs marketplaces, disburses payroll and loans, detects fraud and helps other startups grow exponentially. We serve these services through world-class APIs and dashboard UI that simplifies payments. We serve some of Indonesia’s largest tech startups and international giants like Samsung.
Our payments infrastructure team works on all the complexities that we have abstracted away. It is responsible for working with banks, networks, processors and central banks to make sure our payments are executed successfully, correctly and promptly. It means maintaining connections to the banks, building mission critical services and working around the myriads of failures, timeouts and issues associated with local infrastructure. This team is one where the stakes are high, where moving information means moving money.
We're looking for an experienced manager to recruit and lead an engineering team that can build infrastructure at scale within 6 months.
- Build tech infrastructure on AWS that scales us from 100,000s to 10,000,000s txns monthly within 4 months
- Find all the issues with our current infrastructure and propose a new future state with management buy-in within 2 months
- Act as an individual contributor to build the proposed state within 2 months
- Product that you build has to:
- meet mutually agreed SLOs
- be deployed and scalable within a microservice architecture
- have safe migration plan to move from existing system executing >500,000 transactions a month and growing
- have verifiably high data integrity
Build an A team that ships and operates critical payments infrastructure
- Coach existing team
- Inherit small, junior team and coach them to become A players, i.e. excellent individual contributors, contribute beyond their work and have potential to lead as our organisation grows
- Build performance management framework: scorecards, 1-on-1s
- Fire team members who cannot become A players
- Execute team culture within a “team of teams” framework
- Set up and execute hiring until we have the right A team
- Source 5 A players that can pass CTO’s screen
- Hire until your role becomes redundant, i.e. if you disappear, they can continue operating at the same quality and speed
- Build framework for hiring: scorecards, interview questions
Do whatever it takes to make Xendit succeed
You may be a good fit if
- You have managed teams that have shipped and operated critical infrastructure
- You have built technical infrastructure that has scaled on AWS or other cloud
- Have at least 3 years of engineering experience with proven management wins
- You thrive on autonomy and have proven you can push towards a goal by yourself
- Bonus points if you’ve built payments infrastructure before
What we care about
- Solve for the customer first: You build what customers want. You think about what is right for customers, not what is easiest for you
- Demonstrate mastery of honey badgery: You make ambitious goals. Then execute…no matter what stands in the way. When knocked down, you get up
- Take on challenges willingly and can be trusted to execute: You can be trusted to get things done right the first time quickly. You hit your deadlines
- You’re like us: You smile a lot, think work is fun and don’t take yourself too seriously. You measure yourself against the best and believe feedback is the breakfast of champions. You follow the golden rule
- You’re remark-able: People naturally talk about how awesome you are. If we can’t find someone who raves about you then it’s unlikely we will too
What’s it like working at Xendit?
What we care about
- You’re smart: Bachelors degree from a top university; fluent in spoken and written English and Bahasa Indonesia
- Ownership mentality: You think like a founder. You push forward independently in an ambiguous environment. You understand the big picture, own mistakes and think about what our customer wants, not whats easiest for you.
- Honey badger attitude: You make ambitious goals. Then execute…on time, on budget.
- You’re like us: You smile a lot, think work is fun and don’t take yourself too seriously. You measure yourself against the best and believe feedback is the breakfast of champions.
About our team
- YCombinator Batch S15: YC is the best incubator in the world, producing Airbnb and Dropbox; 120 companies out of 6,000 applications get in
- Funded by investors behind Facebook, Slack Kaokao, Path, Twitch, GrabTaxi, Tokopedia